Based in Guildford, UK
Chessplosion is an arcade action puzzle game where you drop chess piece-shaped bombs to create chain reactions and trap opponents. Defeat enemies and bosses in Adventure Mode, break targets with limited bombs in Puzzle Mode, dodge explosions in Survival Mode, or fight friends and AI in Battle Mode.
Chessplosion began development in October 2020 as a short prototype of what is now the Tennis Battle mode. It slowly grew from there, gaining more game modes, features and polish along the way. Although CT Matthews has over a decade of game industry experience doing programming and a bit of game design, this is his first project as a solo developer and therefore the first time he's had to handle the art and music himself.
- Defeat a variety of enemy types and boss fights in Adventure Mode, inspired by the movement patterns of chess pieces.
- Solve over 100 puzzles in Puzzle Mode, by using limited bombs to cause a chain reaction and break the targets.
- Dodge explosions in Survival Mode, where you're pitted against waves of tricky bomb patterns.
- Go head to head in Battle Mode, either fighting against the AI or against your friends in local multiplayer.
- Use the comprehensive Assist Mode to adjust the game to your liking by tweaking health, lives, game speed, or outright skipping troublesome stages.
Logo & Icon
- "I’m ready. This is Chess II. It’s official."
- John Walker, Kotaku
- "CT Matthews has absolutely packed the game full of splodey goodness"
- Ed Thorn, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "I haven't played this yet, but it looks interesting AF !!"
- Ed Boon, Twitter
About CT Matthews
CT Matthews is making Chessplosion, an intense arcade action puzzle game where you drop chess piece-shaped bombs to create chain reactions and trap opponents.
More information on CT Matthews, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Programming, Game Design, Art, Music etc
Key Art, Freelancer
Logo Concept, Freelancer